Click image to view larger size
1) Combine all the pastry ingredients in to a food processor until a dough has formed. Add a little water if the mixture is slightly dry. Remove from the plastic bowl, wrap in cling form. Flatten and place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes to relax.
2) Pre- heat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F/ Gas mark 6.
3) To make the filling, whisk together the eggs and honey together until thick. Add the mixed spice, cinnamon, lemon juice, breadcrumbs and grated apple. Set aside.
4) Roll out the pastry so that it fits a 22 cm/ 9 inch loose based pie tin. Cover with foil; insert baking beans and blind bake for 20 minutes.
5) Remove baking beans and foil from the pastry case and pour in the prepared apple mixture.
6) Arrange the sliced apples on top in a circular pattern.
7) Bake for 40 minutes.
8) Glaze the cooked pie with apricot jam.
To serve the stylish way: Dust with icing sugar and mixed spice.
Honey Spiced Apple Pie
By Succot there should be a wide range of apples in season including Braeburns, Pink Lady, Cox, Empire, Golden Delicious and Granny Smiths. Each has its own flavour and texture – the choice is yours. In most recipes, if they do not specify the use of cooking apples, any dessert apple may be used. However in my experience, Granny Smith apples slice and cook well and do not make the dish too watery.
Apples are also very healthy – they have no cholesterol or sodium, are low in calories, have no more than 1% fat, are rich in many essential vitamins and minerals and can even help reduce stress and fight tooth decay! So the old wives tale ‘eat an apple a day will keep the doctor away’ is very true.
Caring for Your Apples. Apples remain alive after they are picked and they continue to "breathe." The higher the storage temperature, the more rapid is the respiration and the more rapidly the apple fruit spoils. Here are some tips for storing apples:
1. Handle apples gently—they bruise very easily and should not be squeezed or dropped—even an inch
2. Store only perfect fruits that are free from punctures or bruises.
3. Do not store apples that have glassy spots in the flesh, known as "water core."
4. Check stored fruit periodically. One rotten apple will spoil the barrel if not removed.
5. Keep apples cold--close to but not below 32 degrees F.
This apple pie recipe is filled with a grated apple and honey mixture that is flavoured with mixed spice and cinnamon. For a short cut, buy ready made pastry. It can be eaten hot or cold and will satisfy all apple pie addicts!
Preparation Time: 25 minutes plus 30 minutes for pastry to rest
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 8 people
Can be parev
For the Pastry
300g plain flour
150g unsalted butter or margarine
3 tablespoons icing sugar
1 teaspoon mixed spice
For The filling
3 tablespoons clear honey
1 teaspoon mixed spice
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
4 eating apples – peeled and grated
2 eating apples – peeled and sliced
Glaze: 4 tablespoons apricot jam –melted with 2 teaspoons of water
Garnish: A dusting of icing sugar and mixed spice