Click image to view larger size
1) Grease and line a 25 cm/ 10 inch round cake tin with baking parchment paper.
2) Pre-heat the oven to 180 C/ 350 F/ Gas mark 4.
3) Whisk together the honey, apple juice, zest and juice of 1 orange, vegetable oil, coffee and eggs.
4) Place all the dry ingredients; the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder,
and cinnamon in a separate bowl and then gradually add to the wet
5) Stir in the chopped apple and raisins.
6) Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until set in the centre.
To serve the stylish way: Invert the cake on to a plate and dust with icing sugar.
Honey Apple Cake
One of the many traditions at Rosh Hashanah is to dip sliced apples into honey in the hope that the forthcoming year will be filled with sweetness. I decided that I would combine these two favourite ingredients with a delicious cake that is ideal for both tea and dessert. The result is a cake that is subtly spiced, and mouth-wateringly sweet. I also bake this in a round pan, symbolic of the hoped-for fullness in the New Year. This cake can be served not only on Rosh Hashanah but over the course of the year as well.
I have used Orange blossom honey which is my favourite; this honey has exceptional taste and is great used in tea, spread on breads or biscuits and however you choose to use it; a great all round honey! Orange blossom honey is often a combination of citrus sources, usually light in colour and mild in flavour with a fresh scent and light citrus taste. Orange blossom honey is produced in Florida, Southern California and parts of Texas.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time:1 hour 15 minutes
Serves: 8- 10 people Will Freeze Parev
340g Orange Blossom honey
60ml Apple juice
1 large orange – zest and juice
3 large eggs
60ml Vegetable oil
120ml Strong coffee
300g plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons Baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 apples – peeled and roughly chopped