Click image to view larger size
1) Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and leave for 5 minutes.
2) Using a mixer, add the salt, sugar, cinnamon and gradually add the flour until you have a non-sticky dough.
3) Put in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size – approximately 2 hours.
4) Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Cut dough into 25 pieces. Shape with floured hands and place on a lightly floured
5) Leave to rise for 20 minutes.
6) Heat the oil in a deep –fat fryer to 190C/375F or a large deep saucepan.
7) Carefully drop several donuts at a time into the hot oil. Cook for 3 minutes per side. Turn and brown on the other side.
8) Remove with a slotted spoon, place on a paper towel. Cool slightly
9) If filling the donuts with jam, insert the point of a knife into one side of the donut. Put the jam in a piping bag and fill the donut.
10) To finish roll in sugar.
To serve the stylish way: Stack them up high on a plate and dust with some cinnamon sugar.
Cinnamon Chanukah Donuts
This year I have written this traditional recipe with a slight twist and have added a teaspoon of cinnamon.
These should be made and eaten fresh.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes plus 2 hours 20 minutes for rising
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
1 sachet / 1 tablespoon sachet dried yeast
550g / 4 cups strong white flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
350ml/ 1 /1/2 cups warm water
125g/ 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
125g/ 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons strawberry jam - optional
1 litre/ 4 cups Vegetable oil – for frying