Click image to view larger size
1. Line a rectangular baking tray.
2. Cream together the margarine and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the cocoa powder, salt and matzah meal and ground almonds and beat together. Add a little water until it binds together into a dough.
3. Cover and chill in the fridge for an hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 300 F/ 150 F/ Gas mark 3.
5. Roll out the dough on a work surface lightly dusted with matzah meal or sandwich between some cling film. Using a cutter of your choice cut as many biscuits as you can from the mixture. Re roll out until all the mixture has been used.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until the mixture has started to crisp on the top and edges and resist a little to a light touch.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
8. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days or freeze.
Chocolate Vegan Shortbread Biscuits
One does not need an excuse to enjoy these very ‘more –ish’ biscuits. They are made with store cupboard ingredients and the recipe works well if doubled or tripled. These biscuits ticks all the allergy boxes as they are dairy free and suitable for vegetarian and vegans.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hour to rest
Cooking Time: 20 -25 minutes
Makes: Approximately 20 biscuits
200g non-dairy margarine
100g icing sugar
25g good-quality cocoa powder
Small pinch of salt
200g cake meal or fine matzah meal
100g ground almonds
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Water – to bind ( Approximately 2 tablespoons)