Click image to view larger size
1. Grease and line a 1 kg loaf tin with baking parchment paper.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180 C/ 350 F/ Gas mark 4.
3. Whizz the beetroot and apple into a purée and add the eggs, and then the oil.
4. Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and add the beetroot purée mixture.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for about an hour 5 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean.
6. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a plate.
To serve the stylish way: Dust the plate with icing sugar.
Beetroot and Apple Fudge Cake
To celebrate Rosh Hashonah the culinary way, apple cake has got to be on the menu. Beetroot is also symbolic at this time of year as it represents thoughts of prosperity and a life of good fortune. Combining beetroot and apples subsequently fulfills a meaningful tasty experience.
Beetroot is a remarkably healthy and delicious vegetable. Beetroot gets their distinctive colour from betanin antioxidant pigments. Betanin also help the body make carnitine which is a nutrient that helps the body turn fat into energy. These nutrients have been shown to provide good sources of antioxidants and anti- inflammatory and detoxification support. In addition beetroot is high in vitamin C. If you are lucky enough to buy beetroots with their leaves, remove them, keep them and use like spinach – they taste amazing!
This cake is an unusual mix of ingredients but they merge well to produce a very moist recipe that is full of goodness. It slices easily and can be used as a dessert with chocolate custard or ice cream or for tea with thick cream.
NB: If you have a family member who says they don’t like beetroot ~ don’t tell them the ingredients as they will never know! they might change their mind on discovery!!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time:1 hour 10 minutes
Serves: 8 - 10
250g cooked beetroot – vacuum packed non vinegar
200ml vegetable oil
180g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
250g caster sugar
2 eating apples – peeled and cored
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Garnish: Dusting of Icing Sugar