Click image to view larger size
1) Pre heat the grill. Put the aubergine slices on to a baking tray, brush with olive oil and grill for 4-5 minutes on each side. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Cut into slices.
2) Place the noodles in a large bowl. Pour over boiling water and set aside for 5 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold water.
3) Stir fry the red curry paste in a wok or large frying pan for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and stock. Bring to the boil and add the chicken and lemon grass sticks. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
4) Lift out the chicken with a slotted spoon and shred.
5) Return the chicken to the wok. Add the aubergines and sugar snaps. Simmer for a final 2 minutes. Stir in the noodles, sugar, zest and juice of lime.
6) Season and ladle into bowls.
To serve the stylish way: Garnish with basil leaves and lime wedges.
cook: Starter / salad
Chicken Noodle Laksa
Laksa is a spicy stew from Indonesia or Malaysia and makes a delicious main course soup. It is a tasty filling broth with chicken, coconut milk that is flavoured with lemon grass stalks, lime and Thai red curry paste. If you cannot obtain lemon grass stalks you can substitute them for kaffir lime leaves. However, if you use lemongrass sticks, they need to be bashed / bruised with a rolling pin so that the flavours can be diffused in cooking.
Red curry paste is now available from the kosher supermarkets which make cooking your own oriental recipes at home much easier.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 people
4 chicken breasts – skinless and boneless
4 baby aubergines – sliced in half
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste ( I used Taste of Asia from the Yarden shop)
400ml reduced fat coconut milk
600ml chicken stock
1 lemongrass stalk ~ bruised
150g sugar snaps
½ teaspoon soft brown sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lime
250g packet dried rice noodles
Garnish: 1 lime cut into wedges, Bunch of fresh basil leaves