Click image to view larger size
1) Place the saffron in 50ml hot water and leave for 10 minutes.
2) Cook the bulgur wheat, saffron and water, and red onion in the stock according to the packet instructions.
3) Toast the almonds in a preheated oven of 200 C/400 F/ Gas mark 6 for about 10 minutes or until golden.
4) When the bulghur wheat is slightly cooled, add the mint, coriander, nuts and apricots. Season to taste.
5) Just before serving sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds and drizzle with a little lemon juice.
cook: Side dish
Pomegranates are a very beautiful and majestic fruit; they even have a crown. This makes them both physically and symbolically appropriate to enjoy at Rosh Hashonah. From a medicinal view point, pomegranate juice has also been proven to decrease heart disease by lowering LDL ('bad cholesterol') and lowering HDL ('good cholesterol').
This tabbouleh recipe is a very useful side dish. Add some feta or goats cheese to make it a more substantial main course.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 6 people
200g bulgur wheat
6 threads of saffron
1/2 red onion, peeled and very finely chopped
400ml vegetable or chicken stock
3 tablespoons roughly chopped mint
3 tablespoons roughly chopped coriander
30g pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
100g whole almonds – roughly chopped
100g dried apricots, roughly chopped
1 pomegranate, seeds only
1 lemon, juice only
Salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste