Click image to view larger size
1) Pre-heat the grill to its highest setting
2) Place the peppers on a large baking tray. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Cook until the skins are black and blistered.
3) Remove and transfer to a dish and immediately cover with cling film. Leave to cool for 15 minutes.
4) To make the basil sauce, place the garlic, pine nuts and basil in a food processor. Whizz until smooth and slowly add the olive oil to produce a delicious green paste.
5) Discard the skins from the peppers and roughly chop the flesh. Stir in the basil, cherry tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes.
6) Spread the basil dressing on the base of the matzo crackers and top with the red pepper mixture.
Serve immediately with a dusting of black pepper.
cook: Side dish
Passover Red Pepper & Tomato Bruschetta
Rakusens square crackers make a perfect base for brushetta. I have spread the base with a basil sauce. Grilling the peppers gives them a lovely smoky flavour and they are perfect with the basil sauce. Serve as a starter or canapé perhaps instead of chopped liver. The variation of toppings are endless ~ grilled aubergine or courgettes, roasted red onions, or even strips of chicken but red pepper and tomato is my favourite!
Prepare the topping in advance and place on the crackers just before serving to prevent them from going soggy. Should you have any basil sauce left, use inside a jacket potato, place on top of grilled salmon or drizzle over a salad. It will last up to 4 days.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 10 – 15 minutes
Serves: 6 people Parev
12 Rakusen’s Matzo crackers
3 red peppers – cut into quarters
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh basil – roughly chopped
2 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes – roughly chopped
4 cherry tomatoes – roughly chopped
Large bunch of fresh basil
2 cloves garlic – peeled and roughly chopped
50g pine nuts
50ml olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper