Click image to view larger size
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350 F/ GM 4.
2. Grease and line 1 kg loaf tin with coconut oil and set it aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, treacle, coconut, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and vanilla extract.
4. Stir in the melted coconut oil and courgette and pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin.
5. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the centre is set.
6.Allow the bread to cool completely before serving.
cook: Side dish
Parev Coconut Oil and Courgette Soda Bread
Soda bread is a variety of quick bread made without using yeast. Bicarbonate of soda is used as the leavening agent combined with buttermilk. The buttermilk in the dough contains lactic acid which reacts with the baking soda to form bubbles that make the dough rise. In this recipe, I am making it parev and to achieve this, use 1 tablespoon of either lemon juice/ lime juice, white wine or apple vinegar and add to soya milk. Stir well and leave for 5 minutes.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Makes: 1 loaf
1 tablespoon lemon juice plus sufficient soya milk to make up 1 cup ( 250ml)
150g whole wheat plain flour
1 tablespoon treacle
150g flaked coconut
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
20ml coconut oil, melted
175g freshly grated courgette