Click image to view larger size
1) Preheat the oven to 200C. Put the peanuts and coconut on a baking tray and roast for about 5 minutes or until golden.
2) Heat the olive oil in a fry pan and sauté the shallots until golden and crisp. Set aside.
3) Cook the rice per the packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
4) Whisk the lemon juice and oil to make the dressing. Season to taste.
5) Chop the basil, mint and coriander, reserving a few whole leaves for garnish.
6) Put the rice in a bowl with chopped herbs, coconut, spring onions, chili, lemon zest, mango, peanuts and dressing.
7) Toss and transfer to a serving bowl.
8) Scatter with the fried shallots, reserved herb leaves, and lemons to squeeze.
cook: Side dish
Mango Rice Salad
Substantial summer salads are always welcome to enjoy alfresco, take on picnics or just for the fact that they can be made in advance and used when required. Ideal for Shabbat lunch or Yom Tov.
Preparation Time: 35 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 8 people
75g peanuts - chopped
50g desiccated coconut
85g shallots – peeled and finely chopped – about 3 shallots
1 tablespoon olive oil
300g jasmine rice
Zest and juice 1 lemon
30ml lemon infused olive oil – or add 2 teaspoons fresh lemon to 20ml olive oil
25g basil leaves – finely chopped
25g fresh mint leaves -finely chopped
25g fresh coriander leaves – finely chopped
6 spring onions – sliced
1 red chilli – deseeded and finely chopped
2 mangoes – peeled and flesh chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
Garnish: 2 lemons – cut in half