Click image to view larger size
1) Put the breadcrumbs, coriander, coconut in the food processor and whiz briefly. Set aside.
2) Clean the lemongrass by first removing the tough outer casing. Finely chop 2 stalks but leave the remaining 18 intact.
3) Roughly chop the fish fillets and place in the food processor. Add the chilli, chopped lemongrass, soy sauce, spring onions and 1 of the eggs. Blitz the mixture until you have a smooth paste – about 20 seconds.
4) Spoon the mixture into a bowl, stir in the corn flour and lime zest. Divide into mixture into 36 evenly sized portions and roll into round flat patties.
5) Dip them into some flour and the remaining 2 eggs (beaten) and finally into the coconut, coriander and bread crumb mix.
6) Carefully thread 2 fish cakes on to each remaining lemongrass stick.
7) Heat the oil in a large frying pan or use a deep fat fryer. Add the fish skewers and cook for 3 minutes on each side until golden and crispy.
8) Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
9) For the mayonnaise, mix the ingredients together.
To serve the stylish way: Place on a dark plate with the mayonnaise in a small dish and garnish with sprigs of coriander.
cook: Side dish
Lemon Grass Fish Cakes with Lime Spiked Mayonnaise
I wrote this recipe to be part of a gourmet buffet which I tend to prefer when entertaining for more than 10 people. It is quicker and easier to serve and your guests are able to pick and chose their desired selection of dishes. Buffet meals need to be balanced with some hot and cold foods, fish, meat or parev vegetarian so that everyone can find something that they like. Having platters of ready sliced or individually portioned foods makes serving straightforward and food easier to eat.
Lemon grass stalks makes the ideal natural skewer and look great with these unusual kebab style fish cakes. In keeping with the Thai flavours, adding some lime to the mayonnaise makes a delicious dipping sauce.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 36 fish cakes
400g fresh white bread crumbs
6 tablespoons fresh coriander
200 g desiccated coconut
20 stalks of fresh lemongrass
950g boneless, skinless white fish fillets eg cod or haddock
1-2 small red chilli – deseeded and finely chopped
3 tablespoons light soy sauce
4 spring onions – finely chopped
3 tablespoons corn flour
Zest of 2 limes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
4 tablespoons plain flour – for dipping
8 tablespoons vegetable oil – for frying
Lime Spiked Mayonnaise or alternatively use Chilli Dipping Sauce
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons lime juice
Dash of chilli oil – optional
½ cm fresh ginger – peeled and finely grated