Click image to view larger size
1. Put the flour, salt and mint or parsley into the food processor. Add the butter, cheese and an egg. Continue to whiz together until the pastry cleans the side of the bowl. Add the water gradually as required.
2. Wrap the pastry in cling film and leave in the refrigerator to rest for 30 minutes.
3. Lightly dust the work surface with flour and roll out the pastry so that it fits a 25 cm /10 inch deep loose based flan tin. (It needs to be approximately 8 cm/ 3 ¾ inches larger to accommodate the depth of the tin.)
4. Pre-heat the oven to 200 C/400 F/ Gas mark 6.
5. Carefully roll the rolling pin over the tin to neaten the edges and trim the excess pastry. Line the pastry base with foil. Fill with baking beans and bake blind for 20 minutes in the pre-heated oven.
6. Place the beans and peas into a saucepan of boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Drain and put into the pastry case.
7. Using the same saucepan, add the flour followed by the milk stirring continuously over a low heat until slowly thickened.
8. Beat the eggs into the sauce and generously season. Pour into the pastry case and scatter with the goat's cheese and tomatoes.
9. Bake for 40 minutes until the filling is set, turning golden.
Cool for a few minutes before removing from the tin. Serve with a green salad.
cook: Side dish
Garden Vegetable Quiche
This is a delicious herb short crust pastry pie packed with summer vegetables.
The secret of a good quiche is to ensure that the pastry base is well cooked so that when you add the filling, the pastry does not go soggy. There are endless choices of vegetables that you can use to ring the changes – but look at colour and texture so that they blend well. I have used red and green vegetables that are in season.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes plus 30 minutes chilling time
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Serves: 6- 8 people
For the Pastry
250g plain flour
Pinch of salt
125g cold butter
25g Parmesan Cheese – finely grated
2 tablespoons fresh mint/ parsley
1- 2 teaspoons cold water
110g runner beans, stringed, halved lengthways and sliced
110g fresh or frozen peas
25g plain flour
3 large eggs
110g log full-fat soft goat's cheese, sliced
3 small vine tomatoes, quartered
Garnish: Dusting of black pepper and torn leaves of fresh mint /parsley