Click image to view larger size
1) Slice the aubergines lengthways into about 10 slices each. Discard the 2 outside slices. Sprinkle with salt and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse well and pat dry.
2) Brush both sides with olive oil and cook on a BBQ or griddle pan for about 2 –3 minutes on each side or until lightly coloured.
3) Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
4) Place the deseeded finely chopped chilli in a bowl with the fresh mint and the lemon juice.
5) Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6) Stir in the feta cheese.
7) Spread a little sun-dried paste onto the aubergine slice. Place a spoonful of the feta mixture on top and roll up. Secure with a cocktail stick.
To serve the stylish way: Serve warm or at room temperature garnished with sprigs of fresh mint and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
cook: Side dish
Feta and Mint Aubergine Rolls
These aubergine rolls can be served as a tasty starter all year round; they are also perfect as part of a succot buffet or in a lunch box. The secret of the striped line appearance is to ensure that the pan is hot when you fry them on a griddle pan or BBQ. The pretty griddle lines will only appear if you leave the aubergine to cook for 2-3 minutes without turning. If you sprinkle the aubergine slices with salt before cooking, this reduces the amount of oil they absorb.
The aubergine and filling can both be made in advance (the day before) and rolled the next day.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes plus 20 minutes to salt
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 6 people
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red chilli – deseeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
1 large bunch of fresh mint – finely chopped
Juice of 1/2 lemon
300g feta cheese - crumbled
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Garnish: Sprigs of fresh mint