Click image to view larger size
1. Prepare the brisket by mashing garlic and a pinch of salt using a mortar and pestle/ rolling pin or the side of a knife until a paste forms.
2. Smear brisket with the paste and transfer to a baking dish.
3. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 160C/ 325 F/ Gas mark 3.
5. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
6. Sear brisket until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes and then transfer to an ovenware dish.
7. Pour lemon juice, stock and wine over brisket and cook covered for 2 hours. Uncover for a final 15 minutes.
8. To make the gremolata/ herb, combine the parsley, chives, split almonds, lemon zest, and garlic. Season with sea salt. Add pomegranate seeds.
9. Slice brisket. Serve with pan juices and pomegranate gremolata.
cook: Main course
Seder Brisket with Pomegranate and Lemon Gremolata
A new recipe that is tried and tested ‘amazing’ is just what one needs for Seder night! This succulent piece of brisket just melts in the mouth. Make it in advance, slice and keep warm. What could be easier…….?
Preparation Time: 25 minutes plus 2 hours refrigeration
Cooking Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
Serves: 6- 8 people
4 garlic cloves - peeled and finely chopped
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 piece beef brisket 1.8kg – 2kg
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 lemons – zest and juice
2 tablespoons beef powder with 300ml hot water- to make beef stock
150ml red wine/ Kiddush wine
Pomegranate Gremolata/ Herb Topping
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
100g split almonds
1 lemon – zest only
2 garlic cloves – peeled and finely chopped
Flaked sea salt
1 pomegranate – remove seeds