Click image to view larger size
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6. Brush roasting pan with oil.
2. Wash and dry turkey, rub well inside with salt, pepper and paprika.
3. Quarter apples then peel, core and chop them. Combine apple with nuts, finely chopped marzipan, cinnamon and lemon juice.
4. Stuff the neck cavity with this mixture. Sew up openings and truss turkey.
5. Roast turkey breast side down in oven for 1 hour, basting occasionally with chicken stock.
6. Turn turkey over and continue to roast for 1 1/2 hours longer.
7. Put turkey on meat dish and leave to stand in oven for 15 minutes after it has been switched off. Strain cooking juices and mix with white wine, chestnut puree and chicken stock, seasoning to taste with brandy, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Pour over turkey.
8. Serve accompanied by red cabbage and roast potatoes
cook: Main course
Hazelnut Stuffed Turkey with Brandy Sauce
Turkey is a special occasion meal and this is a perfect festive recipe. I love the hazelnut and apple and marzipan stuffing which cooks gently inside the turkey neck cavity. The cooking time is an estimate, weigh the stuffed bird before roasting. As a general guide ~ If the turkey weighs under 4kg, allow 20 minutes per kg plus 70 minutes cooking time – and if it is over 4kg allow 20 minutes per kg plus 90 minutes cooking time. Remember that fan assisted ovens cook quicker than conventional ovens so adjust your timings accordingly.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 ½ hours plus 15 minutes to stand
Serves: 8 people
1 turkey weighing 3 kg (6 1/2 lbs)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
2 eating apples
200g chopped hazelnuts (filberts)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
250 ml hot chicken stock
125 ml white wine
150g chestnut puree/canned)
180 ml chicken stock
2 tablespoons brandy
Oil for brushing roasting pan