Click image to view larger size
1. Heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft
2. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, until just wilted.
3. Pour in the wine, bring to the boil and simmer until nearly all of it has evaporated. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the chestnuts, cream, lemon juice and half the thyme leaves. Simmer gentle until the sauce has reduced.
4. Season to taste.
5. Transfer to a deep, 1.5-litre freezer and ovenproof dish. Leave to cool completely.
6. Brush half the filo pastry sheets with some of the melted butter, scatter over some thyme leaves. Then lay 1 unbuttered filo sheet on top of 1 buttered filo sheet, and then brush again with butter, followed by the thyme leaves. Halve each filo pile through the middle, so you have 8 smaller squares.
7. Scrunch each square, and then lay side by side on top of the filling, to give a ruffled filo topping. At this point, freeze or continue cooking to eat immediately.
8. To freeze: Cover with cling film, label and freeze for up to 1 month
9. To eat: Defrost at room temperature for 8 hours, or in the fridge for 24 hours. Bring up to room temperature.
10. Cook at 200C/fan180C/gas 6 for 25 minutes or until the filling is piping hot and the filo pastry is golden. Serve with steamed spring greens.
cook: Main course
Creamy Mushroom and Chestnut Pie with Filo Pastry Top
October / November is the main harvest for fresh mushrooms so keep this recipe for when they are at their best and plentiful. It is delicious for an impressive Sunday supper or as part of buffet table vegetarian option. I love the layers of crunchy pastry flavoured with fresh thyme.
For individual portions, serve in ramekin dishes.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 - 45 minutes
Serves: 6 people
2 tablespoons olive oil – for frying
150g butter- melted
2 Leeks- Trimmed, washed and sliced
2 Garlic cloves- Peeled and finely crushed
750g Mixed mushrooms (i.e Girolle, Chestnut and Oyster)- Thickly sliced
150ml Dry white wine
200g Pack cooked chestnuts- Roughly chopped
142ml Carton double cream or soya cream
Juice of half small lemon
Handful of fresh thyme leaves – roughly chopped
8 Fresh filo pastry sheets