Click image to view larger size
1) Combine all the dressing ingredients, mix and set aside. (Can be made up to 2 days in advance.)
2) Dip the chicken livers in the beaten egg followed by the breadcrumbs.
3) Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
4) Fry the chicken livers for 3 minutes and then turn over. Pour over the red wine and continue to fry for a further 2 minutes. (Chicken liver tastes better if slightly under cooked otherwise it becomes tough and leathery!)
5) Cut the chicken livers into small pieces.
To serve the stylish way: Decorate the plates with rocket leaves, figs, raspberries and walnuts. Mix in the cooked chicken livers and drizzle over the dressing.
cook: Main course
Chicken Liver Salad with rocket, walnuts and figs
This warm stylish quick salad can be served as a substantial starter, or a main course. At the moment, figs are in season. Figs have the highest sugar content of all fruits – over 50 %. They have been cultivated for thousands of years – and have a sexy, sensual connection. (Not just the fig leaves!) They are very delicate so choose and store with care. Once ripe, the skin splits easily so choose unblemished fruit and do not try to keep them for more than a day or two in the fridge.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 6 as a starter – 4 as a main course
575g Koshered chicken livers – washed and trimmed
3 slices of white bread – made into bread crumbs (combine in a food processor) or 6 tablespoons medium matzo meal
1 egg – lightly beaten
3 tablespoons – vegetable oil
2 tablespoons – fruity red wine
225g rocket leaves
6 fresh figs – cut into quarters
75g chopped walnuts
125g fresh raspberries
For the Dressing
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper