Click image to view larger size
1) Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan.
2) Season the beef with salt and pepper. Fry in batches for about 5 minutes or until golden brown all over. Set aside.
3) Turn down the heat and fry the onions, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
4) In a small separate pan, dry fry the spices for 2 minutes. Remove and transfer to a pestle and mortar. Crush the spices and then add to the tagine.
5) Pour in the saffron and stock and add the cinnamon sticks. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer for 2 hours.
6) Add the lemon and simmer for a final 15 minutes.
To serve the stylish way: Garnish with sprigs of fresh parsley and a generous sprinkling of pomegranate seeds.
Serve with cous cous or basmati rice.
cook: Main course
Beef and Pomegranate Tagine
A tagine is a conical shaped earthenware dish that was traditionally used by Nomads as portable ovens. The coned shaped cover acts like an oven and the entire lid is totally sealed to retain heat and moisture. This prevents the food drying out and allows the slow infusion of flavours to permeate into the dish. Tagines are a type of stew and can be cooked in conventional casserole dishes but there is a range of beautiful tagines available. These make idealistic oven to tableware dishes and will certainly impress the guests!
I love the subtle saffron and coriander spices that are cooked in this tasty beef tagine. The generous garnish of fresh pomegranates provides beautiful colour to a great dinner party dish.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Serves: 6 - 8 people
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 kg cubed chuck beef
4 large onions – peeled and sliced
8 garlic cloves –peeled and roughly chopped
2 cm fresh ginger- peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
Large pinch of saffron ~ soaked in 2 tablespoons boiling water
750ml beef or vegetable stock
2 cinnamon sticks
2 lemons – sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Garnish: 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, Seeds of 2 fresh pomegranates