Click image to view larger size
1) Place the water in to a small saucepan. Sprinkle over the gelatine. Leave to soften. Set aside.
2) Whisk the egg yolks and honey together until pale and creamy.
3) Place the gelatine under a low heat and warm through gently so that the gelatine is clear. (Do not boil.)
4) Pour the gelatine into the egg and honey mixture.
5) Whisk the cream until it resembles soft peaks. Add to the honey and egg mixture.
6) Whisk the egg whites in a clean separate bowl until they stand in peaks.
7) Add to the honey mixture, a tablespoon at first followed by the rest.
8) Pour the honey mousse into a large glass dish or 6 individual ones.
9) Cover and refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours or overnight.
To serve the stylish way
Place a few sprigs of mint at the corner of the dish.
This is a straight forward dessert which is ideal for Yom Tov – family friendly and can easily be doubled for a large crowd and moreover captures the flavours of Rosh Hashanah. It has a very light and fluffy consistency and is perfect to complete a heavy meal.
Inside you can alternatively add pomegranate seeds instead of strawberries if preferred. The recipe requires you to use kosher gelatine, which you can find at your local Kosher delicatessen. It is a parev powder that comes in individual sachets. Kosher gelatine is made from fish bones, with no added colour or preservatives.
When using gelatine always weigh up the gelatine accurately. Too much gelatine and the food will be rubbery and too little and it may fail to set the food.
Soak the gelatine in a measured amount of liquid (never the other way round) so that it can start to ‘sponge’ or dissolve. Warm the gelatine and liquid gently in a saucepan but do not allow it to boil or it will go stringy and unusable.
Follow these little chef guidelines and you will have no difficulty in making this dessert!
Can be parev
Must be prepared in advance
Preparation Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 5 minutes
2 tablespoons water
7g - 1 sachet kosher gelatine
75g clear honey
3 eggs separated
150ml whipping cream ( Use soya for parev option)
225g strawberries – hulled and roughly chopped
Sprigs of mint leaves