Click image to view larger size
1) Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF.
2) Make the pastry crust by mixing all the ingredients together in a food processor.
3) Wrap in cling wrap and flatten. Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
4) Add the sultanas, cinnamon, chopped walnuts, sugar, and butter to the food processor and pulse gently to combine.
5) Stir in the grated apple.
6) Roll out the dough on a floured surface so it is ¼ inch thick.
7) Using a 3 inch cutter make round templates.
8) Put a spoonful of filling into each circle.
9) Draw up the sides to form a triangle, pinching the edges firmly together in the shape of a tricorn hat.
10) Line a baking tray with wax paper.
11) Transfer the Hamantschen and glaze with egg white.
12) Sprinkle with poppy seeds and candy sugar strands and bake for 15 -20 minutes or until golden brown.
To serve the stylish way: Dust with confectioner’s sugar.
The idea behind Hamantschen is that are made in the shape of haman’s ears and the pastry crust should completely cover the filling just as G-D has a plan for the Jewish people’s future even though we cannot always see it from the outside.
Purim is a fun colourful festival and this recipe for Hamantshen certainly provides this as they are covered with poppy seeds and candy cake sugar strands. My recipe is made with lemon pastry crust which combines well with the sweet filling, although it can also be made with yeast dough, sour creamed dough, a rich short crust or cookie pastry crust.
Can be made in advance
Can be Parev
Makes: Approximately 30 hamantaschen
Preparation Time: 30 minutes plus resting time
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
For the Pastry Crust
3 ½ cups plain all purpose flour
1 ½ cups unsalted butter or margarine
Zest of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/3 cup powder sugar
For the Fruit Filling
1/3 cup sultanas
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 eating apple – Peeled and grated
1/3 cup soft brown sugar
1/3 cup unsalted butter or margarine.
For the Glaze
1 egg white – lightly whisked
2 tablespoons – poppy seeds
2 tablespoons – Sugar strands