Click image to view larger size
1) Mix the yeast with the 2 tablespoons of the sugar, salt and 100ml of the warm water. Leave for 10 minutes until the yeast starts to foam.
2) Whisk the eggs, sugar, margarine and vanilla essence. Using a dough hook add the flour and yeast mixture.
3) Continue to beat until the mixture is smooth and well combined. This will take about 5 minutes in the food mixer.
4) Cover and leave to rise so that it is double in size. This will take approximately 2 hours.
5) Roll out the dough so that it is 1 cm /1/ 2 inch thick and 7 cm/ 3 inches rounds.
6) For the filling put all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer until thickened and the liquid has been absorbed. This will take about 5 minutes.
7) Put a tablespoon of poppy seed filling in the centre of each round.
8) Fold over the edges to form 3-cornered little cakes. Glaze the top with warm honey.
9) Pre-heat the oven to 180 C/ 350 F/ Gas mark 4.
Leave to rise for 30 minutes.
10) Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
To serve the stylish way: Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
Can be parev
These are the classic triangular Purim biscuit that are filled with poppy seeds, prunes or apricot preserves. Their shape symbolises the hat of Haman, who was plotting to exterminate the Jewish people of Persia. Recipes vary quite considerably from being small cocktail size to being large and heavy. They can either be made with sweet yeast dough or biscuit pastry: it just depends on your preference and family tradition.
Hamantaschen pastries traditionally ‘hide’ their fillings. The legend behind this is that God always had a plan for the Jews future even if the Jews could not see it clearly themselves!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes plus 2 hours rising
Cooking Time:15 minutes
For the yeast dough
15g – 2 tablespoons or 2 sachets yeast
350ml/ 13 fl oz/ 1 1/2 cups warm water
100g / 4 oz / 1 /2 cup sugar
2 teaspoon salt
100g / 1/2 cup melted margarine or butter
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
900g/2 pound /6 cups strong flour
For the Poppy Seed Filling
100g / 4 oz/ 1 cup poppy seeds
100ml 4 fl oz/ 1/ 4 cup water
100g / 4 oz 1 /2 cup sultanas
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 tablespoon caster
Glaze: 2 tablespoons honey plus 2 teaspoons warm water