Click image to view larger size
1) Preheat the oven to: 170C/ Fan 150F/ Gas mark 3 ½.
2) Grease and line a 22cm loose base cake tin with baking parchment paper.
3) Using an electric whisk, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
4) Gradually add the sugar, beating continuously until thick and glossy.
5) Fold in the ground almonds, halva, cocoa powder, dates, zest, and 120g chocolate until well combined.
6) Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes or until dry and firm to touch.
7) When the cake is completely cool make the glaze.
8) Heat the chocolate and cream gently stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat and stir for 2-3 minutes until slightly cooled.
9) Remove the cake from the tin and transfer to a plate. Pour over the chocolate glaze, allowing it to drip down the sides.
10) Decorate with pomegranate seeds, chopped mint and pistachio nuts.
Halva & Pomegranate Chocolate Torte
This is a taste of Rosh Hashanah as the recipe combines the sweetness of dates and halva with a decorative garnish of pomegranates. Since it does not contain any flour it is also suitable for any gluten free guests too!
Serves: 8 – 10 people
Vegetable oil – to grease cake tin
6 egg whites
180g golden caster sugar
125g ground almonds
500g halva – coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
150g pitted dates – roughly chopped
Zest of 2 oranges
120g dark chocolate – finely chopped
150g dark chocolate – roughly chopped
100ml Alpro cream/ single cream
2 tablespoons pistachio nuts – roughly chopped
2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
Sprigs of mint