Click image to view larger size
1) Line and grease a 22 cm round loose based cake tin.
2) Whisk the olive oil with sugar. Add cinnamon and egg yolks.
3) Dilute the bicarbonate of soda with lemon juice and baking powder with brandy and flour and add to mixture.
4) Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Combine carefully and pour half of the mixture into the base of the oiled baking tin.
5) Place the prepared apples and pear on top and pour over the rest of the mixture.
6) Bake at 180 C/ 350 F/ Gas mark 4 for 1 hour or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean.
Grated Pear and Apple Olive oil Cake
This is perfect for Chanukah tea as it captures the symbolic use of oil as an ingredient as well as being an ideal recipe for tea time.
Olive oil used instead of butter makes cakes dense and moist. Olive oil goes extremely well with fruity flavours and can be a good choice in recipes that already feature citrus, apples or pears like this recipe or fresh berries. However, it does not work particularly well with buttercream or cream cheese icings because the richness of the olive oil competes too much with the buttery icing and can cause a cake to taste a little greasy, so simpler cakes and muffins are typically better choices. Any savoury baked recipes like herb and cheese muffins, biscuits or breads, can be a good match for olive oil even if the recipe calls for plain vegetable oil.
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Serves: 8 people
60ml olive oil
225g caster sugar
5 eggs - separated
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Juice of l lemon
3 tablespoons brandy
150g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
650g eating apples – peeled, cored and sliced
2 pears – peeled, cored and grated