Click image to view larger size
1) Combine the dried yeast with 50ml warm water and leave for 5 minutes.
2) Mix the flour, salt, egg, honey, raisins and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Using a dough hook if available mix the ingredients together.
3) Add the yeast to the bread mixture together with the vegetable oil and remaining 300ml warm water.
4) Continue to mix the dough for 2 minutes so that it is smooth and the mixing bowl is clean.
5) Remove the dough from the bowl. Lightly grease this bowl with some olive oil. Knead the dough lightly and return it to the mixing bowl to rise. Cover with some cling film.
6) Leave in a warm place for about 11/2 hour or until double in size.
7) At this point, take ‘challah’, remove a small piece of dough the size of an olive, wrap in foil. Cook in the corner of your baking tray with your challah.
8) Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/ 400ºF/Gas mark 6.
9) Knock back the dough and weigh up into 50g portions. Divide the 50g pieces in half. Roll each piece into 2 thin strands or braids.
10) Twist the two strands together and then curl together to produce a circular twist.
11) Glaze with egg yolk. Top with sesame seeds if desired.
12) Leave to prove (second rising) for 20 minutes so the dough is slightly puffed up.
13) Bake for 15 -20 minutes or until golden and sounding hollow when tapped underneath.
Cinnamon and Raisin Mini Challah Rolls
Here we have the flavours of Yom Tov all wrapped up in a circular twisted bread dough. Marriage golden wholegrain bread flour produces a crusty nutty texture bread and the secret to its lightness is not to over knead.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes plus 1 hour 30 minutes rising time
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 18 mini challah rolls
1x 7g sachet dried yeast
600g Marriage Golden wholegrain bread flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 heaped tablespoon clear honey
2 teaspoons cinnamon
50ml vegetable oil
350ml warm water
Glaze: 2- 3 egg yolks - lightly whisked
Topping: 3 tablespoons sesame seeds – optional